Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Occult Goodness

After waiting a while for it to be re-released, I recently finished 'Banquet for the Damned' by Adam Nevill, one of my favourite scribes. While it's not, in my humble opinion, the strongest of Mr Nevill's novels (that would be 'The Ritual'), it's still easily one of the best books I've read in the last year and there aren't many novels I've read in my adult life that have unsettled me in such a way. However, I'm pretty crap at reviews, so I'll just throw some words out there like an ape lobbing its own excrement at a wall, and hope to do justice to the novel with my meagre scribblings. Two friends and failing rock musicians, Dante and Tom, arrive in the university town of St. Andrews after being invited by Dante's hero Professor Eliot Coldwell, who wrote 'Banquet for the Damned', a book that had quite an effect on young Dante. But not all is as it seems, and the town is rife with the disappearances of students and rumours of a nocturnal visitor plaguing them. Strange things are afoot. Whispers of witchcraft and the occult. The town seems infested with dread and darkness. Bad dreams and bad memories. I enjoyed the novel immensely. A story in the occult tradition of old Hammer films and the work of MR James. Great stuff. Also, my copy of 'The Croning' by Laird Barron was delivered. I've read his short story collection 'The Imago Sequence' so I can't wait to get stuck into this. Until next time. *waves goodbye*

No comments:

Post a Comment